Sunday, June 14, 2009

You're supposed to climb back on, right?

Last October, I wrote about an accident I had been in (http://ibew37.blogspot.com/2008/10/health-update.html) which resulted in me spending three days in the Intensive Care Unit at the Saint John Regional Hospital after suffering a head injury. As some of you may know, one of my hobbies is training and driving Standardbred (Harness) racehorses, a hobby I picked up through my father, who trained racehorses as an occupation, for nearly 50 years. The accident occurred during a horse race, when the horse I was driving fell suddenly, propelling me into the ground head first. Luckily for me, I was wearing the proper safety equipment (a top notch helmet and a protective impact vest) and there is no doubt that the helmet saved my life.

Just like most accidents, it came without warning and it was unexpected -- it's one of the reasons we always need to use the safety equipment and tools we have - you can just never tell.

You may be interested in listening to an interview CBC radio did with me about the accident. You can find it at http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorningsaintjohn/int_archives/jun.html by scrolling down to the June 8th interview.

As an update to that blog entry, I thought some of you would like to know that I'm now "back on track". You know what they say - if a horse throws you, you need to climb right back up! The good news is that last week I won with the horse I had crashed with (his name is "Porthill Digger") in my second time out with him this year.

No comments: